Flemington Child Custody Lawyers
Child custody is often the most complex and emotional issue you must resolve in a divorce. You should always seek legal help from a lawyer for any issue in the child custody process. A lawyer can advise you on handling the situation and represent you in court if necessary.
How Are Child Custody Disputes Resolved?
Custody matters can be resolved in the following ways:
- Settlement proposals between the lawyers, with or without the formal process of discovery;
- Mediation, wherein a mediator (neutral third party) can help facilitate an agreement on key issues;
- Trial, where a judge is tasked with doing what is in the child’s best interest. You may need to go to court if there are key issues regarding the children’s safety.
How the Court Decides Child Custody Matters
Every issue relating to children in divorce is centered on their best interests. New Jersey law lists many factors that the judge will consider when determining the best interests of the children, including but not limited to:
- Parents’ ability to agree, communicate and cooperate regarding the child;
- Parents’ willingness to accept custody and any history of unjustified withholding;
- Interaction and relationship of the child with the parents and other siblings;
- History of domestic violence;
- Preference of a child of sufficient age and capacity;
- Stability of home environment;
- Fitness of parents;
- Parents’ employment responsibilities;
Ultimately, it is up to the judge to weigh these factors. A judge has a tremendous amount of discretion when determining the best interests of the children.
Modifications to Child Custody Agreements
Once the court enters the initial child custody order, it might be subject to change at any point as long as one parent can show there has been a change in circumstances.
Why Should You Hire a Flemington Child Custody Lawyer at Tune Law Group, LLC?
Our lawyers can help in the following ways:
- Learn the facts about your case to provide tailored legal advice;
- Negotiate with the other parent’s lawyer if possible;
- Propose legal options for your custody situation;
- Draft or review language to a child custody agreement to ensure it reflects the actual terms;
- Argue your case before a judge if necessary;
- Assist you if any child custody issues arise after the divorce has been entered.
Flemington Child Custody Lawyers at Tune Law Group, LLC Will Prioritize Your Child’s Best Interests
To get legal help for your child custody matter, contact our Flemington child custody Lawyers at Tune Law Group, LLC. Call us at 908-434-1061 or complete our online form to schedule a free consultation. Located in Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, we serve clients in and around Hunterdon County, Monmouth County, Whitehouse, and Tewksbury.